[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises; forearm smash

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Nov 3 10:25:53 MDT 2010

On 11/3/2010 6:06 AM, David Nereson wrote:
  How you guys are "in and out" in 45
> minutes or an hour is beyond me.
> Welp, now everybody knows.
> --David Nereson, RPT

Hi David,
 From past observations rather than specific knowledge of what you,
personally, are doing, I find that tuners taking well over an hour are
all doing the same thing. They listen too long, and tune way too deep
into the tone envelope. Tuning into the decay is a waste of time and
effort, I think. Pretty much everything you need is in the first half
second of the note. You know what you're listening for, know where to
listen for it, and know where to go with it when you hear it. That ought
to happen nearly instantly, and that's where you start tuning. Listening
beyond that is giving away time without helping the tuning. I hit each
string from 10-15+ times, but in quick succession as I'm moving the pin.
Like the Sundance kid said, "I'm better when I move". There's a little
more time between keystrokes for intervals than for unisons, but not
much. No pounding necessary, though one "test" whack somewhere at pitch
is good insurance. Moderate blows, and lots of them in a short period of
time is what works best for me. I make a hack of a racket tuning, for
anyone that's heard me, and though I'm not the best tuner out here, My
tunings are near the high end of durable.

This is a lot easier to do aurally, since your ear picks up the needed
information way before the ETD indicator settles down, but I think it's
still applicable.

Another factor in taking longer to tune a piano that's already close
than one that has to be dragged up from down there is called good sense.
Well, first, it's contrast. A pitch salvage sounds comparatively WAY
better than when you started, but refining an already near usable tuning
takes you farther back into the weeds among the questionable
perceptions. The immediate gratification from the pitch raise is almost
limbic, where that from a nicely refined already decent tuning is more
intellectual. Glands, ask around, trump brains pretty regularly, so
gratification takes more work in the fine tuning than in the pitch
correction. The good sense is justification after the fact. The refined
tuning at pitch is going to be more immediately stable than the pitch
correction and tuning, until environmental changes wreck both tunings.

That, such as it is, is my take.
Ron N