[pianotech] Update on Ol ' Chick. 5253

JWyatt1492 at aol.com JWyatt1492 at aol.com
Wed Nov 3 11:37:59 MDT 2010

Hello to All,

        Bill,  The action is a retro fit  with a modern action whip.

   At first I thought the original  action was a early  "Brown".
      After getting into the action and keys, and  much research
   I now think that the original action was likely an  " English Single"
      It has also been restrung.

       My first estimate of the age of 1848  was tied to the Pierce Atlas
   But I  now find in " Clinkscale " (pg.79)  that  Chick. Gr.  #6020 was
   dated as 1844. Between  these two numbers 5253 and
   6020 there were 767 piano made.
      Then we find in "Sumner" (pg.121)   Chickering began overstringing
   in both Grand and uprights in 1845.

      Now in  " Hollis" pg.92 we find  that Chickering started using the
    full iron plates in Grands in 1843.

      With this information  ( the best  I have found at this time) It
looks
   as if the year 1844 is a fair estimate when  Ol ''  5253" was made.

      Can anybody help me out on this  ?

                 Regards to All
                 Jack