[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises; forearm smash

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Nov 3 12:46:26 MDT 2010

Wim, I've noticed at classes of yours I've attended at
onventions, that you and some other tuners (anybody know what
ercentage?) have the ability, upon hearing a beating unison, to
ut the offending string in its final beatless resting position,
in set and everything, in one quick movement, without hardly
hinking about it, whereas tuners like myself have much more of
 battle in getting it close with the first movement, but almost
lways too far or not far enough, then having to make a second
ovement, and even a third, fourth, up to 8 or 10 tries or more
efore it's finally "dead on."

David

You've gotten some very good advice from others, but I think the main reason why it's taking you so long to tune a piano is because you're listening too much, and not acting upon what you hear. I agree with what Ron said, in that too many tuners wait to long upon hearing the note to make a decision what to do. As I put it, "stop listening, and start tuning." By that I mean, as soon as you hear that a string is off, do something, even if it's wrong. Move the string immediately. It will either get better or it will get worse. With the amount of experience you have, you should be able to tell immediately if you're going in the right direction.

The other aspect of that is the hammer technique. I am a jerk tuner. (Yes I know, some people think I'm just a jerk, period, But that's another subject for another time). Jerk tuning is moving the hammer is a jerky manner, with control, kind of like how an impact lever works. If you jerk the hammer while hitting the key numerous times, it will set both the pin and string at the same time. That results in a much more stable tuning as you go.

I, too, tune unisons as I go with my SAT. But I don't start with note 1. I start with the first note in the bass, and go down to note 1. Then I start with the first note in the treble, and go up to 88. When I get done with that first pass, which will take about 30 minutes, depending how bad the piano is, I turn off the SAT, and basically tune the piano by ear, starting with setting a F3-F4 temperament. I then go up, checking 10ths, double octaves, octave & fifth, etc.. This is followed by tuning bass. Total time is approximately 45 - 60 minutes.

Even though you've been tuning for 30 years, perhaps it might be beneficial if got some tutoring. I will be doing that in KC next summer. But if you can't make it to the convention, perhaps some time with a tuner you respect and like in your chapter will help you.

Wim