[pianotech] Finish on finish

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 6 06:48:06 MDT 2010

Rob -

I would advise against top-coating a finish from 1925.  As the older finish
starts (continues) to craze it will telegraph up into the newer top coats.  The
only route I would even consider besides leaving it alone (preferred) would be
to clean well and apply a high-quality paste wax.  Unlike Howard's
Restore-a-finish it actually provides some lasting protection for the existing
finish.  Any damage to the wax film is easily remedied and renewed.

Mark Potter