[pianotech] Pinblocks

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sun Nov 7 00:03:19 MDT 2010

I put a pinblock of this type in the Baldwin Hamilton back in the mid-1980s.
(I wanted to put it in the grands as well but was out-voted. It performed
much better, in my opinion, than the multi-layer granite pinblock Baldwin
was already infamous for; but what did I know?) Anyway, while I was testing
various pinblock configurations I tossed in one that used the regular 5/8"
multi-laminate cap (made with 1/16" veneers) with the rest being of
laminated poplar (1/8" thick, rotary cut). Worked quite nicely. We didn't
use it because we were uncertain how it would age -- it stood up well for a
year but who knows what would have happened in 30 years -- and because
marketing was concerned -- probably for good reason -- about the competition
finding out that Baldwin was using "poplar pinblocks."

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
620 South Tower Avenue