[pianotech] Interesting find - Haddorff Update

Ken & Pat Gerler kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net
Sun Nov 7 07:36:49 MST 2010

Hello all,
When I first saw the piano, it was in a "sunroom" - tile floors, "hard"
walls - without any type of "damping" material in the room (and it was just
a temporary location).  The piano sounded pretty strong.  Yesterday, when I
went to finish the work, it had been moved to a home with carpeted floor and
curtains in the room.  The sound seemed "weak".   After tuning it, I played
a couple of pieces on if after running a chromatic scale.  I then removed
the four springs and the wood block and played the same pieces and chromatic
scale - the difference in the sound was dramatic - full and rich.

Conclusion:  Because it probably had been in a very acoustic alive room the
pictured items had been placed where they were to reduce the volume of the
piano.

Ken Gerler
kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net
Gerler Piano & Organ Service