[pianotech] 'D' Type Spring & Loop Grand Action Regulation

Mark & Janine Davis pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Mon Nov 8 11:37:43 MST 2010

Dear List

I have learnt to regulate grand pianos from reading and applying what I have
read from Danny Boones book on grand regulation and the PACE book written by
Bill Spurlock.

I am now faced with a D type spring and loop grand that I have to regulate.
I have some idea of how to go about it but am unsure about a few things.
Will someone please help me out and answer some of my questions?  1. Should
the hammers rest on the hammer rebound rail or not? 2. If the hammers are
supposed to rest on the rail, then what is the best way of adjusting the
capstans so that there is no lost motion? 3.  Should there be aftertouch on
this type of action? 4.  When playing the key slowly and letting the hammer
let off, how much should the hammer drop by or should it drop at all? 5.  On
a normal blow, once the hammer is in the checked position, once one releases
the key slowly, should the hammer rise, be held in the same position or drop
a certain amount?

Your assistance will be much appreciated.

Mark Davis