[pianotech] Acrilikey Monomer

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Nov 9 11:18:01 MST 2010

On 11/9/2010 9:18 AM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
> A "Gee I was WRONG' would be nice TOO!
> Joe
> Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
> Captain of the Tool Police
> Squares R I

Dear Captain,

An "Oh, I guess I over-reacted" from you wouldn't be amiss, either.

Did you check the toxicology sections in the two safety sheets, to
compare the monomer with methanol? The ingested lethal dose isn't all
that different. Note also that the OSHA tolerance levels (200 ppm for
methanol and 100 ppm for the monomer) have the monomer at a lower
suggested tolerance level than the methanol. Note the fancy respirators
they are suggesting, and the advice about using a hood or exhaust
ventilation. Note also the section where it says that people who already
have liver damage will show more reaction to less of the monomer than
ordinary people. My family tends to have liver problems, and as kids my
sister and I were exposed to way too much stuff which was kept in the
house, like carbon tet and DDT, which aren't even available now. This
could explain why I tend to go ballistic over fumes, which really bother
me.

Now, you can say, "well, that official advice is for people using lots
and lots of it every day," which may be at least partly true. You may
hate what I said, which is your prerogative. Nonetheless, I still feel
that a little concern about using such materials is warranted, IMO.

Now that I've read the data sheets, if I were asked about using the
Acrilikey kit, I'd say, "yes, it does a good job on keys. Be sure to use
the gloves, and I'd suggest doing it outside, or if you are friends with
a chemistry teacher at a community college, maybe they'd let you use
their hood." It helps that no one fixes a ton of keys day in day out, so
any exposure isn't chronic.

Susan