[pianotech] string breakage, distressed underlevers

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 9 11:20:39 MST 2010

I had a fellow over here break (I wrote it all on the service record(s) I had placed inside of the piano) over 100 strings on a Yamaha C-7 over a period of years.  He broke bass, tenor and treble wires.  At some point, the church or he, contacted Yamaha and complained.  Of all things, NOT expected, Yamaha replaced the piano for them which they most certainly did not have to do.  However, as I expected, he continued breaking strings on this brand new piano too.  In fact, he broke strings on every single piano that he’s played on.

Upon listening to his performance many different times, it was obvious that he was the problem, not the piano.  He beat the tar out of that poor thing.  He had two large speakers on both sides of the piano bench facing him, BLARING the music directly at him.  It still wasn’t loud enough for him.  He eventually developed carpel tunnel.  (Hee-hee) If you speak to him with your back toward him, he cannot hear you and does not answer.  He is consequently half deaf (DUH!!!  ) and no matter how many times I tried explaining it to the church and to him that it was HIS FAULT strings were breaking, he refused to accept that.

I tried deregulating the action as Tom mentioned below.  It did not help at all.  He just played harder.

After years of this, he finally started blaming me.  Unfortunately, the church believed him.  No matter that strings did not break while I tuned it and no matter that I had other techs come in when I couldn’t to tune it.  They still believed him.  After all, he was the “music director and knows all about pianos.”  You know?  I asked Yamaha and the dealership to write a letter to the church on my behalf.  They both readily did so placing blame directly where it needed to be placed, on him.  It still did not help.  So, after 30 years of servicing for that mega church, I figured it was no longer worth my effort or my time so I fired them flat out and quit servicing for them.

Here’s the clincher though.  The piano that was at this church, was sold to another church and has been there for about 12 years now.  It has not broken one single wire since this person no longer plays on it and I still service this piano.  Go figure huh?

I guess you could say, our response was falling on “deaf ears.”

Jer