[pianotech] finish on finish

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 08:53:08 MST 2010

John,
I agree with you that the tradition methods of French polishing are
tricky and it is very hard to get a high polish finish. However, I
could have you producing a glass-like finish in a day with the Konig
special French polish. This polish takes all the headaches out of the
process.

It looks like there is a good chance I will be at the 2012 convention
to do a workshop on this.

On a really orange peeled old piano, I first sand it down with 320 and
then 400 wet or dry paper using a soft block and raw linseed or
mineral oil lubricant. This levels the finish and makes it easier to
get a high gloss. It is possible to use French polish alone with no
sanding on such a finish. It just takes a lot more time and effort and
a number of sessions.

Douglas Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY