[pianotech] Smoke damage

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 10:17:16 MST 2010

Terry,
Another expert on this subject is James Schmitt, Portland Chapter. There are lots of things that you can do "locally", IMO. First is get the piano apart ASAP! The quicker you get at this, the less damage will occur. In the case of high moisture situation, (and that is usually the main issue for us.), take EVERYTHING apart that will come apart. Put the piano and all parts in cool dry area. Tent, with moving blankets, (all the way to the floor), the main piano and put a damp chaser inside. Start with 10 watts, up it to 25 watts, then up it again. All the while monitoring the environment inside the blanket tent. I have a set up that looks like a large wooden carpenter's tool box I have several recycled damp chaser rods attatched to it  and humiditats and humidity gauges,etc.  the whole thing goes under the piano/tent. There is a  product called Chem Sponge that is used to remove the smoke residue from surfaces. There are several chemicals that "suck" the smell out of the piano, as well. I don't have that info, but James Schmitt will. He's difficult to reach, but well worth tracking him down. A veritable fountain of info.

Hope that helps a bit.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police