[pianotech] Baldwin Vertical string gauge

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Wed Nov 10 09:32:14 MST 2010

Hi Carlos,

We have many of these Baldwin Hamilton 243s, about 26 years old, at Howard
U.  I, too, was looking for that string scale and found two in Travis¹s book
listed ³Baldwin Hamilton, 45,² but neither scale fit the pianos we have
because the number of bass strings is wrong.  Couldn¹t find any gauges on
bridge or otherwise.

Interesting thing was, I mic¹d the string and was ready to replace,
something like D3, but when I got the string around the hitch pin and looked
at the bridge...it hadn¹t been drilled for two of the needed pins!  But at
one point there was a string on there, I guess just laying across the
bridge, because I found the broken string looped in the bottom of the piano.
Not sure what that might have sounded like, or how tunable it was.  Guess
that¹s why it broke!

I have checked several other 243s at the school, and they all have the
necessary bridge pins.  Maybe one day I¹ll learn to drill and install bridge
pins and put a couple on that piano.  For now, though, one string on that
unison is going to have to do, as it has for many years probably.

Paul
--
Paul Milesi
Registered Piano Technician (RPT)