[pianotech] Re. green piano with bass bridge problem

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 08:28:10 MST 2010

I think I will chime in here with a tip on bass bridge repair. I had
one of these repairs fail with just epoxy. I reasoned that epoxy is
really "plastic" as in having plasticity. Under constant tension from
the string, the plastic slowly deforms and allows the pin to creep
over again. My solution was to put a filler behind the pin that has
tipped over. i considered toothpicks but thought it might crush
eventually. I chose steel. It has to be tapered to fill the gap
correctly as the pin is actually flagpoling over. I cut the head off
of large carpet tacks and push them in behind the pin burying them in
the bridge. Sometimes I use two. then you can use any kind of glue you
want or none at all and the repair is solid.

Douglas Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY 11971