[pianotech] Fwd: green piano with bass bridge problem

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Nov 11 11:09:54 MST 2010

On 11/11/2010 9:50 AM, Jon Page wrote:
> Attached is a photo of how I have handled a split bridge.
> It works well on the back row but with the front side damaged,
> a new cap is in order...or the dump.

Well, the photo broke loose; at least, nothing arrived here.

I don't think that the "green" piano is destined for the dump, at least
not in our lifetimes, unless a pipe bursts in the ceiling above it, or
something.

Just pull the pins, fill the holes, and redrill them with less
sidebearing, and it will play and play, like the Energizer bunny.

Reminds me of a repair (cobble) done in desperation one day. A crummy
spinet in a church in a neighboring town had a pedal where the mounting
pin going through it had eaten a hole maybe 1/3" across. Black grindings
from it on the floor of the piano. The horn of the pedal made it
impossible to remove without tilting. I just needed to FIX the damn
thing and get out of there! I removed one of the mounting brackets, got
the pin more or less in place and packed the gaping hole with
five-minute epoxy, held the pin centered till it set, put it back together.

Came back over ten years later ---- still working perfectly, gospel
music and all. Go figure.

sssssssssssssssssssssssnnnn