[pianotech] heavy damper pedal complaint

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Nov 11 12:35:26 MST 2010

I removed the spring from under the damper tray, (inside) for a picky
customer with an S&S M who was having exactly this problem. She claimed
that the dampers were too slow to damp afterwards, and I put it back in.
I couldn't really tell the difference in damping.

Then later on she told me that another tuner she had gone to, apparently
dissatisfied with me, had fixed the problem *properly* ... turned out,
she had removed the same spring.

<some customers are like that>

I also have heard that on newer Steinways, they use a neoprene tube
inside the box, instead of a wrapping of bushing cloth to muffle the
clinch plate. Sometimes the neoprene introduces a lot of friction. If I
found that, I'd just take it out and use bushing cloth again. With new
cloth, it takes a second tightening after the pedal has been used a bit,
or the cloth getting pressed down lets the pedal get too loose.

Susan