[pianotech] heavy damper pedal complaint

Roger@Integra.com rgable at integra.net
Thu Nov 11 17:48:52 MST 2010

Barbara,
The Steinway pitman guided by the cloth bushing through the keybed is inherently problematic. I know of no current manufacture that uses such an archaic design. Drill out the pitman hole larger (approximately 3/4") and install a dowel that is guided on both ends with a pin. That eliminates the friction and the associated noise.
Roger Gable