[pianotech] Re Green piano bridge repair with carpet tacks

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 21:03:30 MST 2010

I have had two bridge repairs fail. Granted, in both cases there was a
crack connecting the pins allowing a lot of movement. I used 2 ton
epoxy with one with no filler added. The other was repaired with PC 11
filled epoxy. However, if I used a filled epoxy again I would use JB
weld that contains iron filings. It would have to be wormed up a bit
to get good penetration.

My point is (pun intended) that if you use the carpet tacks with the
head removed as steel wedges, it works really slick. You don't even
have to take all the tension off the string. I push the steel wedge
shaped tack in next to the pin with pliers and finish by tapping it in
with a punch until it is flush. If it does not move over enough, use a
second one. It is so tight at that point that you can use any glue you
want or none at all. You have to try it to see how neatly it works. It
is a lot less messy and you don't have to tip the piano on its back
either. I little CA glue would be fine and would wick in around the
tack if you are worried about it moving.

This is how I have repaired several bridges and it takes about 10
minutes. Can't beat that. Five minutes to put in the tacks and 5
minutes for CA or 5 minute epoxy. A few minutes to retune.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY 11971