[pianotech] heavy damper pedal complaint

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Thu Nov 11 21:20:26 MST 2010

Barb,

I should have included how to verify that the tray spring is doing its
job:  with the action removed, operate the sustain pedal and observe the
back action.  As you release the pedal, the tray and underlevers come
down together until the dampers rest on the strings.  If the tray
continues to move downward, separating from the underlevers, all is
well.  If the tray stops when the underlevers stop, and remains in
contact with the underlevers, you will need to either a)weaken the
underlever springs, or b) strengthen the tray spring.  Clear as mud??

Mike