[pianotech] Imagine

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 06:47:17 MST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> I wonder about the current thread on split bridge repair. Is it worth
> fixing or not? If so, wouldn't you make a new bridge? It's easier than
> recapping in situ, and a real fix. The other options are, at best, lesser
> approaches. I confess, I don't understand the attitude that the piano is
> absolute junk, but the owner wants it fixed, and has no money, so the tech
> should do the shabbiest repair possible to appease a customer who has no
> idea what the choices made actually mean, as long as the tech can make a
> buck doing it. Is there no line beyond which NO is the right answer? Can't
> we decline to do junk repairs on junk pianos as a matter of professional
> pride and ethics, or are these outdated concepts when a check is to be had?
> I understand that we don't always have the luxury of high level choice, but
> shouldn't we at least try to appear to be possessed of professional
> standards to some degree? Or is it all just the chance to generate income,
> regardless of how? How does this serve either us, or our profession in the
> long run? I read all sorts of whining that we aren't taken seriously as true
> professionals, and we don't get the pay we deserve as such, followed by
> suggestions for repairs that anyone aspiring to professional status would,
> or at least should, have nothing to do with.
>
> Baffled, long and often,
> Ron N

Right!

I mean, wasn't this piano a Grand brand? What else is wrong and what else
will go wrong with it? The Grand brand is the only piano I will not even
take time to look at. When every one I've seen is in the process of falling
apart, why should I assume there will be one jewel in the midst of refuse?
Loose tuning pins, cracked plates, separated pinblocks ... need we frustrate
ourselves with repair attempts--cheap or otherwise? Or, rather just tell the
owner that it's time to take it off life support?

I say no for me. And I tell my customers no for their own benefit.

I recently looked at an older Story & Clark console (35 year-old or
thereabouts). It had been neglected -- that was obvious. Hadn't been tuned
in 20+ years. The repetition was poor (which was why I was called, I'm
sure). At first glance, many hammer return springs were broken. I told the
customer before I began tuning what it would cost to repair that. Then, as I
did a two-pass pitch raise to get the thing to A440, other problems
manifested. Key bushings and balance holes too tight, key bushings that
really needed replaced. a bit of rust on some of the key pins. Action badly
needs regulated. I ended up telling the owner that she would be better
served by looking for a piano that didn't require such costly repair. Choice
of sinking $1,000+ to make a piano moderately playable --into a piano that
never will amount to much-- or looking for a better piano for perhaps $750
or less that doesn't require anything for basic playability? I think the
answer is clear.

--
JF