[pianotech] Promos - new information

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 06:26:04 MST 2010

Good morning, all!

Got a occurrence to relate to you concerning the promotional materials I've
been working on.

Had a full day of tunings yesterday. Eight scheduled, did seven (one forgot
I was coming, so I found a park and  took a much needed 1 hour snooze).
Anyway, in the middle of the afternoon I was at a nice young lady's house
(about the age of my youngest daughter) to tune an old upright that her
husband had found for her on Craigslist.

The first thing I did was to look it over. The pins were tight enough to
tune it, and it wasn't actually too far flat, so I got by without a pitchup,
but it had other issues, that would need to be dealt with. Among other
things, almost all the bridles were rotted away, and the hammers were badly
cut. Those would be my top priority if I were to work on it. My problem at
this moment was that if I were to tune it, I had to get the show on the
road. I still had 3 other tunings before I was done for the day.

I called the gal back in, and I had just started into my spiel, when a light
bulb went off in my head. I had just finished an article for technicians to
give to their customers about both bridle strap replacement and hammer
filing.  "You know what," I told her. Why don't I go ahead and tune it now.
That'll be a good starting point. Then I'll send you some PDF's on a couple
of the most important repairs to consider."

"Will it be something my husband will understand?" she asked. Larry (the
husband), it turns out, felt he had done his duty by buying her the piano
(for all of $50!). She wasn't at all sure he would be enthused about
spending more on it than just tuning.

"I think he'll give it some thought, anyway," I told her. On that note, I
went ahead and tuned it. It sounded great (it's a vintage Haddorff upright -
one of my favorite brands), but with regulating would play sooo much better.
Before thinking about regulating, however, one would need to get the basic
repairs done first. I wrote up her bill and got her email address.

Last night then, after finishing tunings on schedule,  I fired up my
computer, and personalized the two articles for myself (I had been so busy
making versions for everyone else, I hadn't done ones for myself yet.) I
sent them off to her and hit the sack. I hardly got any sleep the night
before working on finishing the hammer filing article - I needed sleep in
the worse way.

This morning I got up and found this note in my email.

     >Mr Behm, I don't know how you did but Larry says we might as well go
ahead and scedule the repairs!   I got your articles last night and read
them over. I thought with all the pics Larry would be okay with at least
checking it out (he's not much into all sorts of reading), so I forwarded it
to his laptop, and told him to check them out before bed if he had a chance.
He was playing his video game but said he would. Pretty soon I was out doing
dishes and herd some noise out in the living room. Larry was in there with
all my stuff off the top  of the piano. He had the lid open and was looking
down inside with a flashlight! His laptop was on the sofa, flipped open with
a page from your article on hammers on the screen. He looked up me and said
'yup' we need this work done! I about fell over. Anyway, go ahead and call
me to set upa scedule. Larry also said to let him know if there was anything
else! I gave him a big hug - I think he was pretty proud of himself for
looking into it (literally!)  Thanks so much for all the information!  Sara
Thomas<

Anyway, I'm really enthused about writing these for all of you to use. If
you would like a free personalized version of promo one on bridle straps,
just drop me a note. A previous post lists the information I need to fill
out your copy. Then if you do wish to subscribe, I will send the
subscription form and prices. If you become a subscriber, you can cancel at
any time for any reason by simply dropping me a note. No problems.

The people who have begun a subscription up so far seem pleased with the
product they are getting. I feel of all the writing projects I have ever
done, this one has the most potential to actually help people in building
their businesses. I just need subscribers so that I can afford to take the
time to do the job right. (Writing one article takes approximately two days
of my time, with everything that has to be done to put it together.)

Sorry for being so long-winded. Just feeling enthused right now. Chuck