[pianotech] Imagine

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Fri Nov 12 09:22:07 MST 2010

Sometimes, mind you, one just can't win, even with the most honourable and
professional strategy.

I was called to tune a piano donated to a fairly new residential complex
for elderly persons.  It was a really old birdcage in terrible condition.
Now, I tune LOTS of old birdcage pianos, but this one was well beyond the
pale.

The person dealing with it all was the nurse in charge, who seemed quite
young.  I explained about the age and condition of the piano, and that I
felt it would not be ethical to take money for attempting to tune this
piano, that it would not stay in tune, and that everything in the piano
was worn out.  But I could see that she just wasn't 'getting it' -
wouldn't understand that pianos have a limited lifespan, that this one was
very old and decrepit  and had been a cheap and nasty one even when brand
new.

She started to ask about my background, as if to question my professional
competence to comment on the piano.

I left knowing that I had done the ethical thing, and had explained it
patiently and professionally, but knowing also that she doubted me, and
suspecting that she might phone someone else.

Best regards,

David Boyce.