[pianotech] Noisey pedal bracket

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 09:28:10 MST 2010

This is one part of piano manufacturing I just don't understand. I service
100 year old uprights with simple wooden trapworks that work smoothly and
noiselessly. These modern metal trapwork systems are a constant source of
problems - it seems that every tiniest noise is greatly amplified, and
sometimes transmitted through the parts making it very difficult to isolate
the source.

The plastic spring cups break, the bushings wear out, the rubber grommets
squeak and wear out prematurely, the brackets seem to click, etc. This is
one example of "they don't make them like they used to" and its a sad thing!
It seems like Yamaha went with this system and then every other Asian
manufacturer followed suit.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter