[pianotech] Piano wax anyone?

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Mon Nov 15 18:32:25 MST 2010

Well Duh, just put the whole piano into a walk in freezer.  Then tune it,
scrape the wax off with a hatchet, then place back in the home.  The piano
will sound so awful, they'll forget about the wax.

;-]

I confess I don't know exactly what I'd do.  Probably would still use a card
scraper and mineral spirits, hoping not to scratch the finish at all, and
see what that gave us.  If the finish is noticeably discolored, then a light
wet-sand at p600 (or p400 followed by p600) and rub-out the whole lid with
0000 steel wool.  I've found that if I have to sand the finish, it's pretty
tough to only sand one section, even if you're only at p600, and get the
final rub out to blend well.

William R. Monroe