[pianotech] Brass Cleaning lacquered

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 19:08:58 MST 2010

The pedal plates are most likely lacquered and may even be two part
clear polyurethane. Either way, this stuff is hard to get off with a
buffing wheel. The sure fire way to get whatever it is off is to use
the spray on aircraft paint remover. I have gotten it at Walmart or
auto stores in 16 oz spray cans.  It is the most aggressive paint
remover and won't hurt the lacquer. You can then buff them with a
medium cut buffing compound on a wheel to get out most of the pits.
For non-commercial locations, I like to finish off with White Diamond
polish which gives a really high polish that looks like gold and has a
tarnish inhibitor so it lasts a long time. Spraying it again with
lacquer is no doubt more protective but decreases the shine
considerably. Krylon sells a lacquer specifically for polished brass.
I am not sure it is better than any other lacquer though. Be sure to
get any waxy buffing compound off before spraying with lacquer. Use
acetone or lacquer thinner.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY 11971