[pianotech] Piano wax anyone?

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Mon Nov 15 22:39:10 MST 2010

When I was in the Air Force, I was called to "fix" a piano in the Officer's Club.  It had to be ready for a performance the next evening.  it appeared that candle wax had been dripped onto the plate struts to affix the candle onto the plate.  The burning candles dripped directly into a few bass string windings.  I have heard dead bass strings, but none more dead than these!  This thread has offered many good solutions to cleaning wax from keys, but try getting it out of bass strings.  There was no overnight solution that I could find.

Frank Emerson