[pianotech] Overdamper

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 16 00:36:03 MST 2010

Matthew asked: "Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on the candle wax!
?
I will also be repairing several hammers on an overdamper soon.? My question is this:
?
I will obviously have to remove the overdampers to get to the action, so will the overdamper mechanism fit in an action cradle?"

Matthew,
Short answer: No. Long answer: On most wooden frame actions it is difficult, (but not impossible), to put the action in an action cradle. I have  a really old Schaff action cradle that has a wide jaw and thinner metal that I can put the action frame into and have room for a 1" key front clamping plate in between the tightening bolt and the frame. Otherwise you will punch a hole in the wood frame and it won't hold worth a darn. DAMHIK ,G> As for the overdamper tray, you can remove it and put it on the work bench front and clamp it to stay there. I have dowels protruding from the wall above my bench that I put the tray on to get it out of the way when I'm surfacing hammers  and doing other normal  action work.
Hope that helps.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police