[pianotech] What is the Steinway term for 'whippen'

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 01:36:19 MST 2010

I don't know what the Steinway word for whippen is, since I believe corporal punishment of factory workers is now against the law, but I believe the part most piano technicians call a wippen*, is called a repetition lever at Steinway.

* While some technicians call a repetition lever a whippen, it is not the correct spelling of this part of the a piano. This, according to Jim Ellis, RPT. I don't remember when, but he wrote an article about this in the Journal some years back.(Perhaps someone with a CD of all past Journal articles, can do the research for me).

 Wim