[pianotech] Fw: 1895 Kimball

Les Koltvedt t4348lk at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 05:42:47 MST 2010

Looked at a 1895 Kimball upright today.  Owner is entertaining having  the bass
strings replaced, there are very tubby.  The piano also has a Honky Tonk
muffler, almost looks like a standard muffler, felt is slit and brass tabs
mounted on the ends.  Was this made like this or altered at some point in it's
life.

My concern is the bass bridge has some splitting around the pins and it's apron
has 3 cracks in it.  If they decided to restring, the bass bridge arpon would
have to be repaired, after removing the bridge, can it simply be glued back
together? white glue or epoxy? also I'd repair the splits along the bridge pins
at that time.  Lots of info posted of late on that.

It looks to me that it has steel wound bass  strings.   Is there a vendor that
makes these? or would replacing with brass wound strings change the sound.  They
optained this piano because of the Honky Tonk feature.  What supplier offers
steel wound strings?

Thanks in advance,
Les