[pianotech] What is the Steinway term for 'whippen'

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 11:33:15 MST 2010

>* While some technicians call a repetition lever a whippen, it is >not the correct spelling of this part of the a piano. This, >according to Jim Ellis, RPT.

Hmmm,  I dunno how anyone can call this correct or incorrect.  Who in our trade is charged with the task of determining the
"correct" spelling? According to Bill Garlick, it was "Whippen" in 1975. I will stick with that.

In Jim's article about this, I don't think he trying to be the authority. He was just tryng to explain it in a scientific manner.

Wim

>* While some technicians call a repetition lever a whippen, it is >not the correct spelling of this part of the a piano. This, >according to Jim Ellis, RPT.

Hmmm,  I dunno how anyone can call this correct or incorrect.  Who in our trade is charged with the task of determining the
"correct" spelling? According to Bill Garlick, it was "Whippen" in 1975. I will stick with that.
    Is that a jack or a fly?  Repetition or Balancier? Wrestplank or pinblock?

Ed Foote RPT