[pianotech] Noisey pedal bracket

John Ashcraft jaashcraft at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 16:40:12 MST 2010

Rick,
Usually you can get to the first bracket's screw/s. Remove that bracket,
then pull gently on the whole bar to slide it out of the other brackets and
the action, being careful to keep the L parts from hitting levers as they
slide by. Inspect the Ls to see if there is any corrosion or fracturing. A
partially-fractured part can make noise, and it will render the dampers
useless when it breaks off. (I had to fabricate a new one last weekend in a
Kimball.) If the bushings are tight on the L parts, you can put some VJ lube
on the metal and reinsert the bar, guiding the Ls back into the brackets. If
there is any corrosion, you will need to rebush the brackets, and that means
removing a few damper levers to get to them.

--John Ashcraft