[pianotech] Little Everett Grands - was: Heller bass strings

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Nov 17 15:11:22 MST 2010

See below.

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue

Centralia, Washington 98531 USA

del at fandrichpiano.com

ddfandrich at gmail.com
Phone  360.736.7563

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Terry Farrell
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:10 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Little Everett Grands - was: Heller bass strings

So I guess the marketing police did get to Everett also - made 'em move the
bridge back some. Was yours cantilevered?

No, the bass bridge was not cantilevered. But I did notice that the screws
were offset when I (easily) popped the bridge off of the soundboard surface.
They came up through the soundboard panel and went in close to the leading
edge of the bridge. After relocating the bridge the screws went in closer to
the back edge of the bridge but I was able to use the original holes in the
soundboard and soundboard buttons. Didn't really think much about it until I
saw the pictures of yours. Looking back I now rather expect a mistake was
made with mine. Hard to say without more evidence. I can't see why they
would have deliberately changed from a design that worked quite well to one
that worked less well. Although marketing departments have done stranger
things over the years.

You mentioned that the case was only 55" inches wide (mine is the same). I
seem to remember you telling me that you have a preference for a more trim
look to a piano (we may have been talking about the Walter grands) - don't
like 'em looking like a linebacker. That was one thing I remember noting
when I first looked at this piano was that, yes, it was a small piano in
that it was not long, but also that it was a small piano overall - almost
miniature - like a 7/8 piano. Even the legs and lyre that are modestly
ornate, are not as large as most pianos. It really is a trim, rather sexy,
looking piano.

Mine has square legs, otherwise the trim on the topblock (at the top of the
leg) looks about the same. The lyre posts are also square. Regardless of
shape they are a bit thinner than the usual heavy, bulky legs. The whole
design is integrated quite nicely.

Yes, I do prefer narrower pianos-especially when the pianos are on the short
side. This piano does not look as squat and bulbous as most short pianos.
There is an elegance to it that cannot be duplicated in wider pianos.

As well, when you start contemplating the value of a fish you'll undoubtedly
notice another nice bit about this piano-but I'll leave that for you to
discover later. I don't want to spoil all the fun.

ddf