[pianotech] Plate finish problems

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Nov 19 05:21:29 MST 2010

Dale -  As you can see there are a number of products that can be used
to fill low spots on a painted substrate. Some of your decision should
be based on how extensive the areas are and how easy it will be to
sand the areas. I've filled a good number of chipped paint areas on
plates, but I have to admit, never on one so ugly as the one pictured
in Ron N's post!

That being said, I've had my best success with (you guess it!) West
System Epoxy thickened with their #410 Microlight Low-Density filler.
I used to use their #407 Microballon Low-Density filler, but the #410
is easier to sand - and I mean it REALLY sands easily - very good for
fairing piano plates.

Terry Farrell