[pianotech] Plate finish problems

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat Nov 20 14:56:57 MST 2010

Hello Dale and all,

You've had a lot of good advice from others.

We finish our plates with automotive finishes, either acrylic lacquer
with single pack primers, for the budget jobs, or 2K two pack with
polyurethane 2 pack high build undercoat, for the serious work.

When a plate has been refinished previously, without proper
preparation, like the plate image that Ron N was unfortunate enough
to encounter, I believe the only way to guarantee a good outcome is
to sandblast everything off. But this will remove all of the original
factory filling as well, so you'll need to start from scratch. A good
high-build undercoat is very useful, but it is not a good idea to use
it for all your filling. If the undercoat film is too thick it can
lead to problems later on. Our approach is to use car body filler on
the seriously dimpled and badly shaped plate areas to get the larger
imperfections sorted, sanding them to shape with very coarse paper
(80 grit),  The preparation is quite quick, and very much reduces the
thickness of primer filler which will be required to achieve a
quality and well profiled base for applying the colour and clear
coats. We use a polyurethane two pack undercoat for our
remanufactured and our new pianos, which is easy to sand, high build,
and it stands up better under the 2K paints (we add the gold powder
to 2K clear for applying the base colour) when compared to single
pack acrylic lacquer all purpose primers. We use the same method with
our new pianos also. We buy our polyurethane undercoat as a white,
which the manufacturer tints to a biscuit yellow for us. We find this
gives a better base for covering with the gold powder. With grey
primer there is a risk of getting a result which looks great when
you've first applied the gold powder coat, but sometimes the grey can
show through once the clear coat is applied, where the colour
application has been a little thinner. The biscuit primer gives a
much improved result. Many of the OEM 2K primers are already supplied
with a biscuit colour, but they are expensive. We are getting a
similar result at less cost with the polyurethane.

Please don't use two packs for finishing unless you have a properly
ventilated area. When I was in my twenties, had black hair, and used
2 packs without proper ventilation on pianos, I got grey hair. When I
stopped filling my lungs with isocyanate, the greyness went away. Its
back again today, but that's another story.

Regards,
Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY