[pianotech] Steinway Upright

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 01:48:18 MST 2010

Step one: Lubricate the heck out of the understring felt. I use Protek CLP
from Pianotek. That will get you a large step in the right direction. If you
haven't had much experience with Steinway uprights, give yourself at least
an extra half an hour to complete the appointment.

Step two: Don't necessarily overshoot the pitch and drop it in, when you're
setting the pin. The excessive friction that some of these pianos exhibit,
means you might be better off bringing the string up to pitch and just
leaving it. A good strong test blow is in order on these pianos. The idea
here, is to figure out how much friction is in the system by feel, and
adjust your technique accordingly. Tight pins with no pin bushings, and high
friction in the upper bearing system means extra care from the tuner.

Attend as many classes on Steinway pianos as you can! Steinway will be
offering classes at the 2011 PTG Technical Institute in Kansas City. Take
this opportunity to learn how to deal with these challenging pianos.
Attending PTG conferences is a terrific investment. Start planning now!
Finally! The conference will be in July after the week of the 4th! For
technicians with families this is a big bonus!

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter