[pianotech] Developing confidence - was Steinway Upright

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Nov 21 04:57:11 MST 2010

DAVID!!!  Please be careful what you say! You stated that:
> ...there is one particular model
> of Steinway I've heard technicians curse, but I never run into
> them.

If you have not run into them, then how can you conclude?:
> ...it's just another piano, and no more daunting than any
> other.

My experience is that just about any S&S vertical - console, studio
upright, upright made since 1950 or so can pose a good bit of a
challenge to the average tech. If the pins are fairly tight or tighter
in the block, with no tuning bushings, I certainly find  these things
to be a bit of a bear to tune and be confident they will hold their
tune. If yours is an old upright, it probably won't be much different
than any other old upright. I have about a dozen S&S verticals in my
regular service - a few old ones, but most since 1950.

But don't fear the piano. If you do find setting the pins to be
troublesome, just realize it will take a bit more time. Try different
motions with your tuning lever and see if you don't find one that
works better for you than others. There is a book that I bought maybe
ten years ago that addressed nothing but tuning lever technique - what
was the name of it? - maybe someone will chime in with the name - it
might be good to read that before tuning this piano as it might give
you some lever methods you hadn't thought to try.

Terry Farrell