[pianotech] OT Just in case you're looking for a new career

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Mon Nov 22 08:09:58 MST 2010

  Many thoughts came to mind -
As Paul Bruesch said: Skydive.  Why not?  Tools a problem?  Leave
them for the next visit.
Gerald G - I'm sure a FOIL request would deliver any unfortunate statistics.
But Wait, there's more:
- How much does he make?  Charge by the hour or job?  What does the
tool carrier make?  Do they ever have to switch places?  What's the
stupidest task they'd have to go up there for?  Change the lightbulb
in the beacon?  Do they wear astronaut-type undergarments for their
excretory functions?  How long is the typical round-trip?  Do they
pack snacks?   Is there a union?  A Guild?
Favorite moments:
5min 29sec: checks on approaching storm clouds. Duh.
7min 19sec: at top, has a moment of no-hands/no-safety as he's
looking for the right tool.

On the other hand, they took the elevator to 1600', so maybe it's not
really such a big deal.
Thanks Al

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY