[pianotech] re. Small vise grips for mass loading

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 17:30:03 MST 2010

> I'm with Joe on this one.  I stopped buying tools at Lowes's and Home
> Repot because some many of them were garbage, even with brand names on
> them.  And most of them cost a lot more than $.2.00.

The point of the post got lost in the wind... The post was intended to
offer a painless, almost no-cost way for any tech to experiment with the
concept of mass loading.

There are efficient ways to "voice" and "tune" the soundboard system
other than messing with hammers and strings. Mass loading is one of
them. It can be extremely effective...but is outside the "normal" way
techs are taught to view tonal issues.  Here is no frills, pocket change
change way to see, for one's self if its all a crock, or if there might
be something to it.

Snuggle up with your brand new, cheap s--t vise grips and a nice glass
of wine on thanksgiving.

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio