[pianotech] Nick Pool

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 24 15:19:35 MST 2010

I received this notice in my email this morning from Lyle Wood, a dear
friend and colleague in Muskegon Michigan.

Some of you in here may have known Nick Pool.  I am posting this here to
inform you all of his passing. I've known Nick since I was just a kid.  I am
54 now.  He was funny as all get out and had a wonderful sense of humor.  He
loved telling a good or bad joke and he never minced words. He was a valued
member of our local chapter with the knowledge that many of us only wished
that we could retain. I thought those of you that knew Nick would appreciate
knowing of his passing.  He had been stricken with some very severe physical
disabilities for quite some time now yet his mind was still quick as a whip
until the end..

Jer Groot

Members and friends,

Here is the obituary for Nick Pool, published in today's Muskegon Chronicle.

POOL, MR. GERARD N. "Nick" Muskegon Gerard Nicholas "Nick" Pool, born June
21, 1934 in Lincoln Park, NJ, passed away on November 23, 2010 in Muskegon.
Nick, a 1956 graduate of Hope College, worked for Gordon Laughead Piano Co.
in Grand Haven for a few years before going to Germany, where he earned a
Klavierbaumeister (master piano builder) certificate in 1961. He returned to
the United States and worked as a prolific musician and freelance keyboard
technician throughout the region until his retirement in 2007. A dedicated
steward of the arts in West Michigan, Nick supported numerous organizations
including the West Shore Graphic Arts Society and was actively involved with
the Community Concert Board and the Muskegon Museum of Art, among many
others. Nick's interests also included collecting antiques, from toys and
toasters to a number of Edison phonographs and disc music boxes. Nick also
was an active member of the Chicago Oriental Rug and Textile Society, a
group that treasured his encyclopedic knowledge of oriental rugs. He also
belonged to the Piano Technicians Guild, which he served in various
capacities through the years. Nick could play practically any tune by ear
and though he may have forgotten the name of a former customer, he never
forgot the make and model of their piano and what its malady had been. He
was very interested in politics and never shied away from expressing his
opinion on current events. He was predeceased by his parents, the Rev.
Gerard C. Pool and Elsa Lillian Schmid Pool and a daughter, Katrina Pool. He
is survived by his former wife, Ellen, and children, Andrew (Kathleen),
Sarah, and Ann Olson (Tom) as well as four grandchildren and brother, Tom
Pool (Nadine) of Evanston, IL. A MEMORIAL SERVICE will be held 11:00 AM
Saturday, November 27, 2010 and VISITATION will take place 2-4 and 7-9 PM
Friday at St. Paul's Episcopal Church (1006 Third St., Muskegon). In lieu of
flowers, memorials in Nick's name can be made to WBLV - Blue Lake Public
Radio or to the Muskegon Community Foundation Performance Fund. Share
memories with the family at www.sytsemafh.com. <http://www.sytsemafh.com>
Arrangements by The Walburn Chapel Sytsema Funeral Homes, Inc. 1547 W.
Sherman Blvd. (231) 759-8565
Published in Muskegon Chronicle on November 24, 2010