[pianotech] Baldwin upright

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Thu Nov 25 09:51:40 MST 2010

5:1 if memory serves.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
620 South Tower Avenue
Centralia, Washington 98531 USA
del at fandrichpiano.com
ddfandrich at gmail.com
Phone  360.736.7563

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:35 AM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Baldwin upright

On 11/25/2010 9:15 AM, Cy Shuster wrote:
> Peek at the back. There may be a small cylindrical brass weight on the
> bass bridge, that gives the bass a loud, edgy sound (I was going to
> say "brassy"...), with good sustain.

Nope. That brass weight ("tone extender") is on the end of the low tenor, to
help smooth the transition to the bass. The unusual bass sound is largely
due to the strike point. Most pianos maintain a 8:1+- strike ratio through
the bottom third (or so) of the scale. The strike ratio of the 6000
continues to change through the low tenor and bass, ending at something like
6:1.

Ron N