[pianotech] A.B.Chase Grand Piano

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Nov 26 09:46:34 MST 2010

Interesting knuckle arrangement on your piano Clark. I certainly don't
consider myself an action expert, so take anything I suggest with a
big grain of salt (never stopped me from speculating though). Maybe
someone like David Stanwood or Ron Overs might be able to offer some
critical thinking on this setup.

A few better pictures of the arrangement would help also. Is the
"knuckle lever" on a spring? It appears it has an action center at the
rear end of it. Obviously it functions as the hammer shank knuckle.
But what is the advantage of having the knuckle independent of the
shank? Less mass (doesn't seem like that would be a big deal). I'm
staring at it, but I can't figure out what it would do that a modern
knuckle doesn't do. I wonder if some advantage doesn't lie in the fact
that it's rotational movement would be opposite that of a knuckle
fixed to the shank - maybe so, but what would that offer?

There appears to be an adjustment screw going through the rear portion
of the repetition lever, just forward of the repetition lever height
adjustment screw - it looks like it has a piece of red felt on the top
side of the repetition lever and the screw goes through it - picture
is fuzzy - what's that all about?

Pics, pics, pics! Need good clear pics!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

Terry Farrell