[pianotech] A.B.Chase Grand Piano

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Nov 28 10:12:33 MST 2010

Hi, Israel

You know, "well enough" is the operative term there. We all have
encountered grand actions which are very noisy, especially once most of
the friction has departed from wear. The standard grand action seems
almost designed to transmit and amplify small sounds. Apparently this AB
Chase action suffers from none of that.

If it was a tradeoff between cheaper manufacturing and quiet
long-lasting actions, it's too bad that cheapness won.

Since there probably aren't too many of these actions left, I hope
rebuilders will be willing to take the time to restore these parts
instead of trading them out. They do seem superior to the standard
wippens and shanks which would replace them.

Susan Kline