[pianotech] Spinet damper flanges - I'll NEVER make THAT mistakeagain !!!!!

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 30 17:08:04 MST 2010

Hi, Donn:
Jon has made a very good suggestion about Spurlock's procedures.  I would also add that regulating a full set of dampers is so much easier if the hammers aren't in the way.  Yeah, it's more work.  But now that you have new flanges in there, you're going to have a lot to do anyway.  Somehow I don't get how they are so much different than the originals.  Are you sure they were that much different?  I could see if the mouning hole-to-centerpin length had somehow changed, that would affect things.  I would be more wary that the old damper felt might not end up exactly where it had been, and you would get ring-through.  Even slightly moving old dampers has always caused trouble for me.  New flanges brings the possibility that they might need to be travelled, and thus the damper felt would be slightly off.  Of course, this doesn't apply if you replaced the damper felt.   If you use the damper pedal, do they all lift as before, evenly and sufficiently?  If not, you are looking at some wire bending for sure, as that adjustment needs to be done first.  Taking out those hammers will give you a much better shot at doing that.

Are we having fun yet?

Paul McCloud
San Diego, CA