[pianotech] Proper use of the una corde pedal/soft pedal

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Oct 5 15:59:10 MDT 2010

Dale

When I was at Alabama, one of the piano profs "rode" the soft pedal. He complained that there was a difference in voicing at certain spots of the hammers.

So I started voicing each hammer at several different spots. I did this by placing a small mark on the key frame right where it meets the key bed. Then on the keybed, I placed a mark with the action at rest, (right at the mark on the keyframe), a mark with the action shifted all the way to the left, and a mark with the action half way in between. This gave me a reference as to where each hammer was in relation to the string. I would then play each note, and voice as necessary, at 5 difference positions, using the marks as a guide. (At rest, halfway between the middle and the left, the middle, etc).  I could even be more anal, and voice each hammer at 9 positions.

Hope this helps.

Wim