[pianotech] when to tune...

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 7 11:18:39 MDT 2010

Hi, Alan:
    I don't know what your weather is, but once I had to tune a piano on the beach at Del Coronado.  I carefully tuned it in the morning, but by the afternoon it was way out again.  If I were to do it again, I would have waited till the last minute.  If there is going to  be sunlight directly on the strings, all bets are off for a stable tuning.  I'd advise you to keep it sealed with a plastic tarp if possible overnight.
    Once I was tuner for the County Fair in Del Mar.  Three times a week I tuned the pianos in the morning.  Then they got wise and wrapped the pianos at night.  The fairgrounds are right at the ocean, so there's a lot of fog and morning dew.  Once they figured out they should cover the pianos, that was the end of my gig.
    FWIW.  YMMV.  Good luck.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego