[pianotech] Tips for restoration of a 1926 Knabe grand?

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Oct 8 15:26:29 MDT 2010

> I find one underlying negative aspect to piano rebuilding; the
> customer is expecting more than the technician or piano can produce.

Then perhaps the piano owner has made a poor choice of a piano
rebuilder. What's so unusual about that? Same thing happens in
construction, auto repair and medicine. Why would it be different for
pianos?

> This manifests itself when the technician is expecting more than is
> possible through naiveté or outright deception.

Same comment as above applies here I should think. However, I agree
that this is something the technician has some control over. So some
techs are smucks - is this news?

> A 1926 Knabe may, in a long shot, be economically feasible if it
> lived in this area all its life.

Or a Chickering or whatever. What do you mean "economically feasible"?
You mean whether the owner can afford the piano or the rebuild?

> But I think, no matter how the economics spell out, that the end
> result could be disappointing.

Of course, any work could be bad. But any work can be good also. Why
do you suggest something might be disappointing? I don't understand
what you are trying to say.

Terry Farrell