[pianotech] rates for new techician

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 11:53:38 MDT 2010

It sounds like you are off to a good start Zoe!

I remember the first ad I ran in the classified ads for a $50 tuning
special! I think others were charging around $70 or so. That was 1994 and at
26 years of age I was starting a business in a smallish state town with
about 5 other established tuners in the city. It was impossible to make
enough money with private clients at that point so I did what you are doing
- work for someone else in the meantime.

Another way to stay busy is to always have a project piano that you are
fixing up to sell. Getting through my first few piano taught me a lot about
regulating. It's a perfect way to practice voicing too without the stress of
meeting someone else's expectations. Keep track of how much time you spend
on the piano so you can figure out how much money you actually make. At
first it may be only minimum wage! But you will feel more confident with
each one, and you will make more money accordingly.

Maybe instead of setting your rates lower, have an introductory "special".
That is better psychologically. Then when you start getting busier, you can
get rid of the special, and you automatically get a raise! I recommend
throwing in extras, especially CLEANING. Take the action out on the porch
and blow it out,(make sure the client sees the dust cloud that comes out of
the action!) take out the keys and clean the key bed (make sure the client
sees the 'before and after'!) vacuum out the bottom board area, give the
keys a good cleaning, and wipe the case down with a little polish. There are
many clients who will appreciate THAT more than the tuning!

One advantage of starting out low, is that you give yourself room for
regular pay raises. It was satisfying to start out as the cheapest tuner in
town and end up 16 years later being the most expensive! ("be expensive and
worth it, said my mentors.) Those regular raises kept my motivation up, and
kept me striving to do my best work.

Make a commitment to continuing education, find good mentors and USE THEM,
collaborate with colleagues, dress like a professional, and promote full
service piano care.

Best of luck to you! Hope to see you at Westpac or Kansas City in 2011!

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter