[pianotech] Tools/Craftsmanship - Was Of Chisels

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 11 15:22:00 MDT 2010

Will said: "If one is going to aspire to be a true craftsman who uses hand chisels and
planes to manipulate wood, part of the skill set required is the ability to
sharpen these tools well. Indeed, it is very much a part of the aesthetic
of being a hand craftsman. They are what make the truly fine work possible
along with the other developed skills of the craftsman. "

Will,
Very well said! I'd like to add that part of that SKILL is knowing how to set up any of  your tools, be they power or hand, for maximum efficiency. I can't tell you how many good tools I've seen that are a disaster happening! Out of alignment, poor maintainence and a whole plethora of ills. Good tools cost a lot to buy and a whole lot more to maintain...BUT, it's worth it!<G>
Regards,
Joe

P.S.
This whole thread should be in the PTJ, IMHO!
Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I