[pianotech] Traveling tuner

Mike Kurta mkurta1 at charter.net
Wed Oct 13 02:58:27 MDT 2010

    My mentor Frank McKowen RPT, Lansing chapter, did the same thing on a trip to Alaska.  Using an Airstream trailer and a van, he paid for his entire trip over several months like this:
    Wherever he found himself overnight, he would canvas the local watering holes with pianos to tune.  One he mentioned was Diamond Tooth Gerties saloon in Dawson City, Yukon Territory, but I digress.  He carried strings and an assortment of repair parts in his van.  As he would work his way North, word would spread that "a piano tuner was coming to town" and several instruments would be lined up for him to service over the days he was in that area.  Churches, schools, bars, private owners all were fair game.
    Apparently their communication system preceded his visit and he tuned and repaired many, many pianos on this trip.  It worked for him.....
    Mike Kurta
    N. Michigan chapter