[pianotech] key leveling with a curve

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Oct 13 18:45:11 MDT 2010

   <SNIP>   You may want to raise or
> lower the hammer line,  and maybe even allowing the hammer line to be a
> little uneven, to achieve a consistent dip and aftertouch at the key.  It
> is a matter of which one you want to take priority- consistent
> dip/aftertouch or an even hammer line.  There could be arguments for
> either
> case.
> I hope that helps.
> Paul McCloud
> San Diego

Paul et all,
    In my view you are right on  in that changing hammer line I.E. blow
distance is the correct variable .
 Personally I level without crown and once a keydip- regulation  trial on
some sample notes is established I stay with that dip throughout.
Without turning this into a regulation thread my goal is consistant
aftertouch on all keys .Leaving letoff-drop at whatever spec chosen leaves
only blow-hammerline to regulate aftertouch.
I've never had a complaint from a pianist that the hammer line varies but
they  certainly can detect and be troubled by inconsistant dip and
aftertouch .
     Tom --on the level--Driscoll