[pianotech] bridge notching machines - search-able title

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Oct 18 11:51:43 MDT 2010

On 10/18/2010 8:53 AM, David Love wrote:
> Ron:
>
> One question (for now). The bridge pictured shows the notching with the
> bridge pin array pretty much centered in the bridge.  Clearly this is a new
> bridge root, or appears to be.  However, when you are using an existing
> bridge root but installing new caps, modifying the scale so that the
> notching might produce a very longer notch on one side, do you have a method
> on the notcher of moving the bridge in order to elongate the cut?

Sure. I index on the pin row, and pull the cutter horizontally into the
bridge. The cut comes from somewhere off the bridge, stopping at the pin
row. Where that pin row is on the bridge is irrelevant as long as the
cutter slide is long enough to start outboard of the bridge to get the
cutter up to speed before contacting wood. Like the long notches in the
low tenor in the photo.

Ron N